Yoga peeps often talk about chakras, which are energy centres situated along the spine. We focus on seven main chakras, which govern particular parts of the body physically and energetically.
Anahata chakra is the heart chakra. I like to remind my yoga students about this chakra often because I think that an imbalance or blockage here can stop us from taking risks and being creative and this means leading a pretty boring life!
Opening your heart means:
- stopping and breathing before reacting
- seeing past a person’s actions and remembering their intentions
- giving someone your full attention, eyes, ears and body language
- realising the impermanence of any situation and deciding to divert your energy
- giving and doing for others just because you can and not because you want something in return
- forgiving and forgetting
5 Times I Opened My Heart Today
1. When I opened my husband’s t-shirt drawer and found tees that were either dirty, inside-out or rolled up.
2. When the old lady in the queue behind me slammed her trolley into my pregnant behind not once but twice.
3. When I had a quick coffee with one of my best friends.
4. When my niece was eating her chocolate bilby and getting melted chocolate all over me and my handbag.
5. When my neighbour’s children knocked on the door and happily bombarded me with talk about the Easter bunny, pre-school and Buzz Lightyear.
In what situations do you feel the need to open your heart and how does it make you feel?
Can you think of one way that you opened your heart today?